This is a centre based, flexible holiday which allows you to explore some of the famous rock towns, ancient castles, old villages and natural sights of the little known Czech Paradise (Cesky Raj) at your own speed.
Unlike most walking tours you are not bound to a timetable and do not have to pack up every morning. We have developed a selection of walks for all abilities, you can walk as much or as little as you wish and you don’t have to decide in advance.
Because we have designed the walks around the local train lines this holiday is perfect for people who don’t want to hire a car but do want to get off the tourist routes.
You will be supplied with a pack which includes a map for each walk, walk description, map of Krumlov and Jicin, public transport connections and timetables, as well as information on walking in the Czech Republic. The public transport costs for the walks are usually no more than 50 crowns ( approx. $3 AUD ) for a single ticket and often much less.
On Jicin’s doorstep is some of the most beautiful countryside you will find anywhere in the Czech Republic. The massive rock pillars of the Cesky Raj’s rock towns are as high as four-storey buildings. In the past the rock towns have been the haunt of robbers and robber barons, now they are criss-crossed by tourist trails. The area has many castles, as well as lovely old timbered wooden cottages and farms. The variety of landscapes result in a wide-range of flora and fauna.
Some of the sights on the walks are:
• Prachovske Rock Town – the area’s most famous rock towns regularly used by as a film location
• Kost Castle – impressive medieval castle overlooking a delightful valley walk
• Sobotka historic reserve – traditional wooden houses
• Hruba Skala Rock Town and Castle – forested rock town with lovely views
• Trosky Castle – ruined castle on two extinct volcanoes
• Turnov – a town of gem-cutters
• Valdstein Castle
• Marian Garden – Baroque chapels hidden in the landscape
• The Plakanek Valley Nature Reserve . Inclusions
• 7 nights twin share accommodation in 3* bed and buffet breakfast
• Transfers from Prague to Jecin and return by scheduled bus ( approx. 1.5hrs) or optional taxi transfer at cost
• Walks pack and the loan of a Czech phone loaded with useful numbers in case of an emergency. N.B We can also offer accommodation in Prague as part of the package.