From AUD1055 per person including bike hire
- Country: Austria
- Duration: 7 Days / 6 Nights 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Guiding: Centre Based, Self Guided
- Type: Cycling
- Rated: Easy Moderate
- Distance: Approx. 235kms or distance of choice.
The village Maishofen with its castles is the ideal starting point for your daytrips. On mostly flat bike paths you can explore the region around Lake Zellersee and enjoy magnificent views of the surrounding, partly snow-covered peaks of the over 3,000 metres high Tauern Mountains.
You will cycle on almost completely flat routes in the river valleys of the Salzach and Saalach rivers. Only when the bike path leaves the riverbank, the terrain gets slightly hilly. You will find yourself mostly on paved bike paths and quiet side streets. Only very short sections will be cycled on roads with more traffic.
You will ride comfortably to unique natural wonders such as the Krimml waterfalls or the Seisenbergklamm gorge and to cultural highlights such as the new national park museum or the tourist mine in Leogang. Also, the highest mountain in Austria, the Großglockner with its 3,798 metres, is a must. The bus will take you up to 2,500 metres. Many castles are located on or above the road and in one of them you will spend your week – in the country hotel Schloss Kammer. Your hosts will take care of you after your cycling days and we also recommend mingling with the locals in order to experience firsthand what it means to live traditions on a daily basis.
1st day: Arrival in Maishofen
Personal tour information with welcome drink, bike fitting.
2nd day: Around Lake Zellersee approx. 30 km
Today you cycle past Castle Prielau to the lakeshore. There, you will continue along the lakeshore to Zell am See with its beautiful old town centre (pedestrian zone, historic parish church) and further into the Schüttdorf moor. Return along the other side of the lake with stunning views of the mountain city and the mountain Schmittenhöhe.
3rd day: Into the Oberpinzgau region, to Mittersill and Krimml approx. 40-65 km
First, cycle to Zell am See. From there, you take the Krimml train (excl. bicycle ticket, approx. €2.50/bike) up into the Oberpinzgau region to the Krimml waterfalls (highest waterfall in Europe). On your way back you cycle steadily downhill over the national park towns Hollerbach (herbal village), Stuhlfelden (Castle Liechtenau, Castle Habach) and Mittersill (national park museum, castle). The route can be interrupted and shortened at any time.
4th day: To the Tourist Mine in Leogang or to Hochfilzen approx. 45-70 km
You cycle through the small moor bath Neunbrünnen to the riverbanks of the Saalach River and further to the Leogang Ache. The mine will take you back to times long past. Here, the silver ore for the famous Salzburg silver coins was reduced. The richest mineral deposit in Salzburg holds 70 partly very rare kinds of minerals, which can be admired in the mineral cabinet. After your daytrip, you will return back to your hotel through lush meadows and on beautifully landscaped paths.
5th day: Onto the Mountain Großglockner
Twice a week a tour bus goes up from Maishofen to the mountain Großglockner, the highest mountain in Austria. From the Hochtor lookout point on 2,503 metres you can enjoy a breathtaking view of the surrounding peaks. A national park ranger will tell you lots of interesting facts about the flora and fauna. (Trip not included, price approx. € 29,-/person / operating times from mid June to late September).
6th day: To the Seisenbergklamm gorge in Weißbach approx. 55 km
Today you will cycle through a small rural hamlet, first to Maria Alm and then to Saalfelden. From there, you continue along the river Saalach to Weißbach to the Seisenbergklamm gorge. In 1831, woodcutters constructed a 600 metres long way on which now visitors can explore the gorge. Later, you will cycle back to your hotel past Lake Ritzensee and through the Kolling woods.
7th day: Active Recreation
With this option you have the opportunity for a guided hike (minimum of 4 people) onto one of the mountains of Maishofen with a marvellous view, or for a shorter hike (approx. 1 hour) onto the Schwalbenwand (mountain face) to the Kammer-Eck mountain cabin where you can enjoy a hearty snack. Alternatively, you can cycle a tour through the town (approx. 15 km) where you can play a round of unique Maishofen bicycle golf. Moreover, we recommend a trip to nearby Salzburg (approx. 85 km) where you can visit many attractions for free with the Salzburg Card included in your tour package.
8th day: Departure or Extension of Trip
• Overnight stays with breakfast buffet, partly homemade products Landhotel Schloss Kammer 4**** in Maishofen
• 7x half board (3-course dinner), incl. 1x Pinzgauer Kasnockenpfanne meal
• Personal tour information with welcome drink
• Brandy tasting in the historic cellar of the castle
• Use of all hotel offers (swimming pond, sauna, stone bath,…)
• 1x voucher for the solarium
• 1x voucher for the infrared cabin
• Free admission to the public swimming area Maishofen/Lake Zellersee
• Free Maishofen bicycle golf, incl. map, scorecard, and golf clubs
• Excellently planned routes
• Hearty snack at the Kammer-Eck mountain cabin (bread with bacon and a glass of cider)
• A guided hike (minimum of 4 people)
• Detailed travel information (route maps or overview maps, route description, tourist attractions, important telephone numbers)
• Service hotline
• Salzburger Land Card with more than 190 free or discounted admissions for different attractions, such as the Krimml waterfalls, the national park centre Hohe Tauern in Mittersill, the tourist mine in Leogang, the Seisenbergklamm gorge in Weißbach, or the Krimml train from Zell am See to Krimml (excl. bicycle ticket)
Per person twin share 7 nights including bike hire from $1055 depending on season